Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Compiling and running RunUO on Ubuntu  (Read 2824 times)

Jonathan

Compiling and running RunUO on Ubuntu
« on: June 04, 2012, 04:08:34 am »
Information:

After looking on the internet at numerous ways of how to compile RunUO on Ubuntu I was finally able to piece enough parts together to get it to work, most of the tutorials I found were from RunUO but were either outdated or just didn't work.

So this is how you do it:
There are really two ways to do this, with or without the terminal either will work and is entirely up to you. If you choose to do this manually just enter each command into the terminal seperately.

The easiest way to do this without needing to use the terminal, is to make a executable file with the right commands.

Create a new empty file, wherever you want.
Open it and paste the commands below:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install mono-complete subversion

svn checkout http://svn.runuo.com/repos/runuo/devel/

mv devel RunUO

cd RunUO

gmcs -optimize -unsafe -d:MONO -out:RunUO.exe -win32icon:Server/runuo.ico -recurse:Server/*.cs

echo "<configuration>" >> RunUO.exe.config
echo " <dllmap dll=\"libz\" target=\"libz.so.1.2.3.4\"/>" >> RunUO.exe.config
echo "</configuration>" >> RunUO.exe.config

Save and close the file. Now right-click it and change its permissions to enable it to be an executable file.
Now you just need to double-click the file and click 'Run in Terminal'.
After a while you will see a 'RunUO' folder in the same folder of this file.
Inside you should see these files/folders:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

If it looks ok, your RunUO is ready!

Running the server:

This is quite easy, create a new empty file in the RunUO folder with the following command:

mono RunUO.exe

Save, close and set it as an executable, as done previously.
You can rename it to Run RunUO, for example, and create a shortcut on desktop. Now you can execute RunUO by double-cliking the file you just created and selecting 'Run in Terminal' when prompted, this will allow you to see the server console in action.

If things go well, the server should start to compile and finally ask you to create an admin account.

Note: Do not add your custom scripts or world saves till you get to this point. Then only add them in small amounts.

What does each one of those commands do?

sudo apt-get install mono-complete subversion
Checks if you have mono(gmcs), windows forms and subversion installed. If not it will install it for you, if you already have them installed it will update them. You will need to enter your password and allow it to download any necessary packages. You can remove this line if you know you have them installed.

svn checkout http://svn.runuo.com/repos/runuo/devel/
Downloads the latest RunUO files to a local folder named 'devel'.

mv devel RunUO
Renames the folder 'devel' to 'RunUO'.

cd RunUO
Enters the folder.

gmcs -optimize -unsafe -d:MONO -out:RunUO.exe -win32icon:Server/runuo.ico -recurse:Server/*.cs
Use gmcs to compile all the .cs files in the Server folder to create RunUO.exe.

echo "..." >> RunUO.exe.config
The sequence writes 3 lines in a file named RunUO.exe.config and saves it in the same folder as RunUO.exe.
If anyone can tell me why this was needed that would be great, all the links I found were dead.

mono RunUO.exe
Execute RunUO using MONO, that provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET applications.

Commands that maybe useful:

Type mono -V in the terminal to see what version of mono you have.

Type locate libz in the terminal to find libz installed on your system.

Note: If you have problems, you can run either Mono or RunUO in DEBUG mode by typing in one of the following...
mono -debug RunUO.exe <-- this helps find mono issues
mono RunUO.exe -debug <-- this helps find RunUO issues

Some notes:

You can ignore the 169, 219, 414 and 618 warnings while compiling the core.
If anyone can tell me why these are unimportant that would be great, all the links I found were dead.

I prefer to use Checkout rather than Export the svn, but it's up to you.

I used Ubuntu 10.10 32-Bit and Mono 2.6.7.

Alternatively if you wish to skip all of the above, you can download an already compiled and working version of RunUO 2.2 Revision 885 from below. Please note you will still need to install mono for it to work properly but all files are included in the download.

Feel free to ask any questions or give suggestions.
Jonathan David Impson
Owner of UOFreeshards.net

Public service announcement to improve forum culture: Dumb questions require dumb answers.

Ultima Online Freeshards

Compiling and running RunUO on Ubuntu
« on: June 04, 2012, 04:08:34 am »

Ultima Online Freeshards - Link Center